Tolliver Falls

Sunday, April 8, 2012

The Strong Survive

I call this picture "The Strong Survive"  The image of a single tulip, growing along a busy highway (not very busy at this moment, but trust me, getting out of the parking lot can be a challenge in itself) symbolizes the need to be strong to survive in this world.  A whole row of bulbs were planted, but this guy had the strength to endure.  Does that bring anyone to mind today?????  I figure Easter Sunday is the perfect day to write about this subject.  I mean come on, who else is stronger, has endured more and has survived longer than Jesus himself?  The Strong Survive.

In my world, this is a pretty big theme.  The Strong Survive.  I am a small business owner, faced every day with a struggling economy, major competition (like the big blue box on the hill) and the daily battle to keep reciepts slightly higher than expenses.  Sometimes it works out, sometimes it doesn't, but in the end, The Strong Survive.  This spring marks my 29th year in business.

I am also a wrestling coach.  The Strong Survive.  Strength and wrestling pretty much go hand in hand.  To be successful and survive in our sport, you must be strong, both physically and mentally.  It has been said, the meek will inherite the earth, but I am convinced, they will get whipped on a wrestling mat.  The Strong Survive.

And finally, on a personal level, The Strong Survive.  I have been faced with the death of parents and grandparents, my mother's cancer, a broken marriage, alcoholism, learning disabilities and all the day to day struggles humans endure.  Through it all, I am happy to say I have two amazing childern, an awesome girlfriend, the wonderful families of my sisters, a healthy dad and a very happy and content life.  The Strong Survive.  Happy Easter.

No comments:

Post a Comment